Setting Up Your Domain (Positive SSL)
Setting up your domain via a positive SSL certificate is a bit different than a Wildcard Certificate Setup, the steps must be in a bit of a different order:
The Honeycommb team prefers to update the web app prior to submitting your app to the app store for the first time, but a custom domain can be added at any point over the life of your community.
The web app impacts two other parts of your network that you might not be aware of:
- The deep-linking experience in onboarding (email confirmation)
- The deep-linking experience with content share externally
- The URL cannot be updated without an app update pushed to the store
So, it's a best practice to handle the web app at an appropriate time as the URL for the deep-linking process won't work with an incorrect URL.
Here's the process for setting up a custom domain on Honeycommb:
1. Finalize the subdomain for your web app. Work with your success manager to align on the appropriate subdomain that makes sense for your community. A couple of examples of custom URLs:
2. Secure a Positive SSL Certificate for your custom domain. Whether you use GoDaddy, BlueHost, Google or any others, you'll need to start with a domain that you own.
A positive SSL certificate enables us to securely mask your community's domain under your parent domain. Using tools like Namecheap.com allow you to purchase the positive SSL certificate for a low-cost (normally about $5-$8 USD) Learn more about Positive SSL certificates here.
3. Once the SSL certificate is purchased, send the following to your Honeycommb Success Manager. NOTE: this will all be sent to you once the SSL domain is purchased through the appropriate provider.
- The SSL Certificate
- The ca-bundle
- The private KEY (sometimes called your RSA key)
4. If all of the information matches correctly between your certificate and domain, your Honeycommb Success Manager will send back a domain for you to map correctly to the subdomain of your choice. In your DNS, paste that URL with the CNAME value matching your subdomain to complete!
Have any questions? email email@example.com or your customer success manager.