Setting Up Your Domain (Wildcard SSL)
On Honeycommb, you have the ability to create a custom domain for your community web app. The Honeycommb team prefers to update the web app prior to submitting your app to the app store for the first time, but a custom domain can be added at any point over the life of your community.
The web app impacts two other parts of your network that you might not be aware of:
- The deep-linking experience in onboarding (email confirmation)
- The deep-linking experience with content share externally
- The URL cannot be updated without an app update pushed to the store
So, it's a best practice to handle the web app at an appropriate time as the URL for the deep-linking process won't work with an incorrect URL.
Here's the process for setting up a custom domain on Honeycommb:
1. Purchase (or use) a domain for your community
Whether you use GoDaddy, BlueHost, Google or any others, you'll need to start with a domain that you own.
2. Secure a Wildcard SSL Certificate for your custom domain
A Wildcard Certificate is an SSL certificate that enables us to mask the URL under any subdomain that you'd like to use for your network. Some websites (like GoDaddy) will let you purchase the SSL cert directly through then, and other website will re-direct you externally to sites like LetsEncrypt. Learn more about Wildcard Certs here.
3. Once the SSL certificate is purchased, send the following to your Honeycommb Success Manager. NOTE: this will all be sent to you once the SSL domain is purchased through the appropriate provider.
- The SSL Certificate
- The ca-bundle
- The private KEY (sometimes called your RSA key)
4. Finalize the subdomain for your web app. Work with your success manager to align on the appropriate subdomain that makes sense for your community. A couple of examples of custom URLs:
5. If all of the information matches correctly between your certificate and domain, your Honeycommb Success Manager will send back a domain for you to map correctly to the subdomain of your choice. In your DNS, paste that URL with the CNAME value matching your subdomain to complete!
Have any questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org or your customer success manager.