Zapier Webhooks: How-To
Working with Zapier is a simple way to point your webhooks to all sorts of solutions from MailChimp to Google docs! To create a Zap with your Honeycommb community, please take the following steps:
1. First, you'll need to Catch A Raw hook. To do this, you'll have to select "Catch Raw Hook" from the app menu. Note that to do this, you'll need a trial or premium Zapier account.
To get to the "Catch Raw Hook" page, the trigger you'll search for is "Webhooks by Zapier" and then select "Catch Raw Hook" as you see here..
2. To set up your Webhook, Zapier will provide an endpoint for you to catch the hook:
3. Head back to your Honeycommb Control Center and use that URL as the payload URL in the third line item:
When it's complete, you should have it look something like this:
5. Once selected, you'll be prompted to continue to the data input. Here, you'll complete the "Input Data" and paste a quick code snippet in to parse the data correctly:
Don't worry, it's not too hard at all! Here are the copy/paste values for you: (Make sure to copy AFTER the Semi-Colon)
- Input Data: rawBody
- Code: output = JSON.parse(inputData.rawBody);
^^ Simply copy and paste, nothing else required!
5. You're also going to have to select the Raw Body event that the webhook just sent! The 2nd column is going to ask you to choose the trigger item. You'll want to select the first value which is the "Raw Body"
6. Next, Zapier is going to run a quick test and make sure that they can actually get the correct data from your Webhook.
7. It's going to look like a lot of messy code, but the output will be nice and pretty looking!
After a successful test, you can then send that data to any other app of your choice. All sorts of other platforms are ready to accept your data!
Quick Tips: Zapier is going to want to test your webhook; so if you are going to create a Zap, it may be good to create your webhook and run a couple of test events/actions prior to setting up this Zap.
Have any questions? email email@example.com or your customer success manager.